Nighttime In The Pine Grove (Trail Cam Results)

     I set my camera this time in a small pocket of woods I've recently begun calling "The Pine Grove". It is a piece of private conservation land in between Potter Rd. and Water Street. It takes up about 2 acres and is popular for dog walking, mountain biking, and wildlife. The last time I set the camera here, about a week ago, I got a Fisher, a Whitetail Doe, and a pair of Common Raccoons. 

To attract wildlife to the camera's view, i usually place leftovers or food garbage in front of the trail cam. In this instance, I used the bones and leftover meat from a Rotisserie Chicken my family had a few days prior. I also decided to bury them a bit in the leaves, so the animals might stay longer as they searched for it.

                            I came back to check it on the 9th and here are the results: 




Coyote Hears Camera Shutter

Whitetail Doe Investigates 



Coyote Hears Something Else


Starts Eating

Hears A Dog??

Finishes Eating

Comes Back With It's Mate

One thing I recently learned is that Eastern Coyotes are on average about 15% Timber Wolf. This is the result of breeding between Western Coyotes (the only true coyote), and the Eastern Grey Wolf "Timber Wolf". This combination of genes is actually very recent and happened due to an eastward migration of western coyotes, as farmland started to cover the east, mimicking the desert and grassland conditions they thrive in. Grey Wolves are now extinct in most of the US, including all of New England. However, their genes still exist here in the form of the modern Eastern Coyote Pack, which often collaborate to kill adult deer, (Something western coyotes never did due to their small size and less social behavior.)

Now that i have found a Fox Den, I am going to try to locate the Coyote's den. It will be extremely hard because it could be on private property or just very concealed under vegetation, but I will keep my eye out

-Aidan Garrity

Comments

  1. Hello Aidan,

    Awesome blog!

    I live in the neighborhood (Spring Ln) and I do wildlife photography (IG: @atnwildlife)

    I have a trail cam in my backyard where I sometimes see foxes, coyotes, a fisher and a few other animals, feel free to contact me on IG or email if you're interested I can share some videos, maybe you'll recognize some of the animals you see on your trail cams!

    Keep up the good work, it's great to see what our neighborhood wildlife is up to!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts