I Left A Whole Deer Leg In The Woods! (Trail Cam Results)

     On December 22nd, My brother face-timed my mom after school and was shocked to had found a severed deer's leg sitting there in the grass of the aqueduct. It was about 10 feet from the guardrail of Nicholas Road. I biked to it out of pure curiosity with a plastic trash bag and a glove. I thought I might also find the rest of the carcass but I didnt. I was too tired and too cold. Picking up the deer leg was disgusting, especially since it was surprisingly heavy. 

I later that night placed it at Nobscot Scout Reservation with my dad, and set up my trail cam. I was very exited for the results. I expected Coyotes, Fishers, Vultures and/or Mice. I was preparing to get animals that were just as crazy as the deer leg. All I got were Squirrels and a Raccoon. The deer leg was still thawing out from Christmas Eve's 32 degree wind and snow and was perfectly intact. I am disappointed. I decided to finish the hike off by taking pictures of the nature going up to Tippling Rock and back.
Untouched.

The view from the camera's location

Frozen Rain on Blueberry Bush

Tippling Rock

Tippling Rock "Staircase"

Frozen rain covering a boulder

Umbiliacaria "Rock Tripe" lichen

After a bit of research, I realized that rock tripe is actually a last resort survival food which apparently does not taste good. It looks like something from an alien planet. The first time I saw it, I thought it was weathered plastic or rusted metal.

The weather during the trail camera's 4 days of action made me worry about the condition of the camera, but I was relieved to find that Camera Traps are built for extreme weather, because some people actually leave them out for months, without worry, because they are almost indestructible. Thank You, Meidase.

Comments

  1. Hi Aidan,
    I enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts