December At The Fox Den (Trail Cam Results)

     On December 15th, I used my "Junior Privileges" time to walk with my friend and try to find a smart place to place my Meidase Sl122 pro trail camera. I have had it for almost a year now, and I highly recommend buying a camera trap because they can show you what happens in your backyard when you aren't there using night vision and motion activation technology. 

I showed him the abandoned fox den that was last used in 2020, when i had seen the kits wrestling on the clay mound while fishing. The next spring my camera traps had shown that it was no longer in use, and I wondered where the foxes were denning. On that walk with my friend, I finally found it. About 100 feet away, on the riverbank, was a hole and a mound. The mound was covered in dog-like tracks, which considering the recent rainstorms, they were fresh. I then spotted a second similar entrance about 20 feet away from the first entrance. It also had tracks all around it, but was excavated into the root structure of an Eastern White Pine. 



I without hesitation tied the camera to a maple that was positioned perfectly. We then left. On the 17th, A Friday, I was very eager to return to the spot and pick up the camera. I hope you enjoy:

Red Fox Mated Pair (My Best Fox Photo)

Most Detailed Fox Photo I've Ever Gotten 

Red Fox Looking at Something

Red Fox Leaving Den
Common Raccoon

Red Fox (First Photo The Camera Took)

Pair w Female in den

I can't wait for the spring when they will hopefully have a litter of kits. That will mean even better, cuter photos. That will probably happen in May or April, so remember to check my blog. I also hope that when it does happen, it will be the same den and same mated pair. Red Foxes, along with coyotes and wolves, are primarily monogamous, but will re-mate if one of them dies, and in the breeding season, (January) the male may try to venture off their territory and mate with other females.

In January, the vixen will most likely be pregnant. Adult foxes actually do not use their dens year round, and instead will sleep during the day under porches, in vegetation, and other safe areas. Dens are only used during the spring when kits are born. They have two entrances, and two rooms. The first room is for the kits to live in, which is filled with dead grass and leaves for insulation, while the second room is for storing surplus kills, so you may find a dead rabbit or vole in there.




-Aidan Garrity



Comments

Popular Posts