Possible Whitetail Deer Bed?

 At Nobscot Scout Reservation, me and my mom have frequently gone on "Nature Walks" on which weve found vernal pools, various amphibians, mushrooms, and countless other interesting natural things. On this particular walk, we kept seeing cat, dog rodent, and deer tracks which cris-crossed around the path. The tracks were easy to see imprinted on the thick snow. 

I eventually had an idea to follow one of the trails of deer tracks, which my mom was reluctant to do since it was getting dark. All the tracks seemed to intersect in one area.  Their was an imprint of an animal's body melted into the snow by it's body heat. The cedars and spruce which hid the spot had their bark scraped off. there was a mess of deer tracks on the ground, and multiple trails of deer tracks strayed off into the woods. I think ive found the perfect place to put my trail cam next: a Deer Bed.


This could break my unlucky streak. Photos of a buck would be amazing, because I don't have any. I have plenty of doe images, but my trail cameras have never taken a picture of an animal that included antlers. I know that a buck has been here because only male deer make deer scrapes. The purpose of making these is to scare away younger, socially inferior bucks, so that he can avoid competition for a mate. Deer scrapes are to Whitetail Deer as Castor Mounds are to American Beaver.

The spot is within maybe 100 feet of Nupsee Pond (a vernal pool). Nupsee pond is currently frozen. There were beautiful spots of black ice that had branching patterns coming off of them.


I'll end the post with those photos.


Comments

Popular Posts