Red Winged Blackbirds Return

 Even when snow still covers the ground, and it is less than 20 degrees outside, I can already hear the creaking, clicking and quacking of the mobs of black birds in trees. The Red Winged Blackbirds are back, just finishing their migration from more southern states. The females are more of a sparrow-like speckled brown. I would obviously take the opportunity if I got really close to one, but I think It would be easier and I think I would be able to show their behaviors the best with sketches. I think i'm going to put my sketches in my posts more often in the future, because I can show things that are a rare sight without having to take a picture before it flies off.

Once, I saw something that confused me. At first I thought it was a piece of trash, blowing in the wind, then I thought it was a bird with really long tail feathers. It was a female Red Winged Blackbird, with a string like strip of dried reed/grass, maybe 10 times the bird's length dangling behind it from it's beak. It was clearly adding the strand to it's nest.
 
   

When the breeding really picks up, (usually on warmer, sunnier days), the males start their famous "click-reeeee" calls. To see what i'm talking about, click here for Red Winged Blackbird sound recordings I found online.

If this year is like last year, The black hordes of cackling birds will keep going oak tree to oak tree, making noise and only leaving the group to add to their nests. When wetlands thaw, and insect larva start transforming in the spring, they are already feeding hatch-lings the dragonflies, midges, mosquitos, damselflies, mayflies, caddisflies, and other wetland dwelling flying insects, which are much higher in protein as their diet. This can happen as early as March.

Comments

Popular Posts