Another Raccoon Skull?

The other day, I went up to Simpson Park (the part that's actually on Simpson Street), and was looking out at the river. As I was about to leave, I peered down under some greenbrier vines, growing along the riverbank. Something stuck out. There was a plastic water bottle next to the skull of a raccoon! 

 

The canine teeth and a few front teeth were missing, and the ones that remained were barely clinging on. I eventually ended up gluing them in, to prevent myself from losing them. As you can see in the photos below, I also found an almost identical skull in February of 2021, along with the whole raccoon skeleton, the post is linked here. "A Red Foxes Carcass". (I originally thought the first skull belonged to a fox, until I did more research in January, and realized my mistake.)

As a key, the one with the least teeth, and the most dirt is the new one:

       

The amount of raccoon skulls Ive found in that neighborhood in the river is an accurate representation of the raccoon population. My trail cameras in that area have almost consistently gotten raccoons, whether it's fishing under Wickford Bridge, scavenging a deer carcass, or sniffing the camera lens. There are probably lots of good places to nest, as the river is surrounded by houses on all sides, and the wetlands hold plenty of dead, hollow trees. I also see raccoon tracks everywhere in that area, after a snowstorm.

I think it is more than likely that i've gotten the raccoon who's skull I found on my cameras. Finding these skulls are a reminder that everything will die: from deer, to raccoons, to woodpeckers. I've yet to find the skull of a fox or coyote. Maybe this spring.

Thank You For Reading.






Comments

Popular Posts