List Of Fox Dens In Framingham

I recently set up two trail cameras in the "Saxonville/Winch Park Riverbank Den Site", a cluster of fox dens (some have multiple entrances, and some do not). I've been placing my cameras there since the start of the winter, learning about the two fox parents that maintain, visit, and defend their dens. Despite what people may assume, and what I used to think myself, foxes do not live in dens year round, Instead, they usually sleep right on the forest floor, curled up. The den is only used as shelter during heavy rain or snow, and for it's main purpose: to provide a safe place to give birth to a litter of 3-8 kits (baby foxes). At this point, most fox mothers are living for a few weeks underground, to nurse the pups. She is fed by the male. 

People think that fox dens are a rare thing, which they are, but I feel like some people don't understand that foxes are far from endangered, and there is a myth that foxes are super specialized animals that will abandon their families at the first sign of humans, which simply isnt true. Foxes are used to humans, and unless a person is pursuing them, they will pretty much ignore the person. I've found twelve denning earths in Framingham, and I probably haven't even found half of them. I havent explored most of Nobscot Reservation, Callahan State Park, Downtown Framingham, or woodlands along the riverbank of the Sudbury River and Lake Cochituate. Not to mention all the fox dens hiding from me in private property. This shows how many denning sites I've found.

                                              Saxonville/Winch Park Riverbank Den Site                                                                                                                             6 known entrances

Pine Grove Den Site
2 known entrances

King School Den
1 known entrance

Landham Brook Riverbank Den Site
3 known entrances

Juniper Hill Drain Pipe Den
1 known entrance

Carol Getchell Riverbank Den
1 known entrance

How do I find fox dens?
1: Find places where forests meet field. Red foxes are actually native to more western united states. They are built to live in prairies and fields. As Europeans cleared much of the forest habitat in New England, the grey foxes lost much of their habitat, and the red foxes migrated east. Since the fields around here are used by so many dogs and humans, Red foxes have adapted to den mainly on wooded areas that are near open grassy areas. almost every single den site listed above follows this rule. 

2: Foxes den on slopes, and near water. I can think of plenty of exceptions, but I've found a lot more dens near sources of water than on dry land, and I've found a lot more on steep slopes than not. The water rule is for obvious reasons. I think they like to dig dens in slopes because it's more difficult for predators and humans to access, preventing the kits from danger. It also may be to give a bird's eye view over the surrounding area. They build their dens on hills for the same reason that humans built castles on hills.

3: Search for piles of clay/sand. Probably the biggest giveaway when looking for dens are little piles of light colored clay and sand. As the parents excavate the tunnels, the earth builds up outside the den. This is also the best way to tell if a den is active. Most inactive den's clay piles have eroded away over time, and just look like a hole, while active entrances have an obvious pile (usually covered in the fox's tracks). The below photos are examples of these mounds.

 

I hope the den I've set up my camera at will be a success. I placed out the camera because I want to ensure it  gets a recording of the very first time the kits see the world. I want to be able to record the part before the babies start exploring, when the parents bring rabbits and snakes into the den. Stay tuned.






Comments

Popular Posts