Great Blue Heron Nesting Update - April

 Now that I've gotten into wildlife photography in the past week, I've been looking for new places to photograph. Probably the most productive location is a beaver pond at Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge. Almost every time ive visited it, there have been a few photographers on the path, taking photos of the turtles that bask on the floating logs, aquatic mammals, and herons. There are at least three heron nests towards the back of the pond, high up in some pine trees that were killed by the flooding resulting from the beaver's return. All three nests are constantly active at this time of year.


I came to the refuge 2 times this week, both times getting to watch the herons. They clearly are not yet caring for eggs or chicks, but the females still seem to stay on top of the nest 24/7. On the 5th, I saw two male herons in the trees, with their mates. This was a first for me. They would announce their arrival to the nest with an ugly squawk that I at first thought was a dog. They were doing something, but I couldnt tell what. The males repeatedly flew down into the woods, and then would emerge a few minutes later. they would then greet the female with a squawk, touch beaks, stay there for a minute, and repeat.

As the males came down, they came close to the path and a few photographers showed up to take photos. I was in a really good spot: a wooded peninsula, far away from the other people, that was close to the nests. I took a few photos of the males flying back and forth.





After looking at the photos afterward, I realized the males had been giving the females gifts. Each time one would greet it's mate, It would pass her a twig, and then she would spend several minutes adding it to the nest, and re-arranging other sticks. 

Great blue herons begin laying eggs around this time of year (early April) but I guess these herons are still getting ready. I can't wait to see the chicks later in the spring. I will update when that happens.






Comments

Popular Posts