Grey Tree Frogs Breeding at Dunning Elementary School

 Last year, I remember taking a few visits in late May to Dunning Elementary School. I would go there after dark, on hot nights only. I have checked the pond at Dunning a few times this May, but It was quiet. Yesterday was a very humid, warm night, with a slight drizzle. I biked through the rain until I got to the pond. I had clearly come on the right day...


...In that video, there are two species of frog calling out. The Gray Tree Frogs are the loud, high pitched gurgles that are the most noticeable sound of the two. The American Bullfrog is more difficult to hear. In the background, you should hear a very low, consistent groaning. The bullfrogs almost gave the pond a haunted feel.

After taking the video, I bush wacked down the slope, towards the pond. I could hear after a second that there was a tree frog right next to me. A bright green male was chirping at full volume, ignoring my bright flashlight that was shining in his face.

 

I then scooped him off the branch gently with my hands. Unlike most frogs I have caught, it had a fear of heights. most frogs spend their whole lives on the ground, but tree frogs actually understand that jumping off my hand is a bad idea. When it was time to release him, he didnt even get off my arm, and I had to transfer him to a nearby tree, to get him to release.



What surprised me most was how he kept calling over and over, even when I was holding him. He had absolutely no problem having his photo taken.

Comments

Popular Posts