Screech Owl In My Backyard

 Last night, while uploading photos on my Chromebook, I noticed a chattering noise out my window. It was about 8:15 pm. I rushed outside into my backyard and took a video on my phone after getting as close to the owl as possible. It was probably perched high in my neighbor's Norway Maple. I got one recording of the chattering noise which was very difficult to hear over the nighttime insects, but then it switched to a much louder squeaking noise...



...This was not my first time hearing screech owls, but it was my first time hearing screech owls in Massachusetts. I have been trying to get a shot of a screech owl for about a year now, ever since a friend online told me about a pair that was nesting about a half mile away from my house. After listening to it for a few minutes, it went silent, so I went inside.

I went back to my Chromebook, and started uploading the recordings, and converting them from video, to audio files for Inaturalist. At about 9:00, the chattering noise came back twice as loud. This time, it sounded like it was coming from my front yard. I walked outside again, and walked to the base of the Red Maple that it was hiding in. I took a video...

                  

             ...That night I could not get any shots of the screech owl, nor could I even see it. It was pitch black, and I wasnt prepared. I did make an attempt with my phone camera, with a flash that lit up the whole tree, but the owl was too well concealed...


I'm happy with the recordings I got, and I will continue hunting for the opportunity to get photos of the screech owl. Hopefully this fall.


Comments

Popular Posts