Coyote Bedding At Raymond Reservation

 I was walking at the rail trail at Raymond Reservation with my mom yesterday. It was around 7:00 pm. The sun was setting and I had my camera with me. and we were passing Blue Meadow Farm, which is almost exactly on the Sudbury-Framingham border. I looked out into one of the fields that is connected to the rail trail by a path. A coyote was hunting maybe 150 feet away from us. When I took out my camera it instantly froze and stared directly at us. I pressed the shutter button. My camera didnt take a photo. I checked to make sure it was turned on. It was. The coyote started trotting towards the edge of the field. I left my SD card at home! Shit. I quickly realized i had a trail camera at the bottom of my backpack, which had a card in it. I moved that card from the trail camera to my Canon. When i looked in the viewfinder, the coyote had already vanished into the dense concord grape thickets and forest to the right of the field. 

We continued on our walk, and came back around a half an hour later, on our way back. We walked back out into the field but didnt see anything. The field went downhill at the edge farthest from the trail, and I couldn't see over the hill, so I checked that area. In a patch of un-mowed goldenrod, I noticed a pair of pointy ears. The coyote was laying down, staring at me, from about 100 feet away...


...As I got closer, It ran off again...

   


It was getting dark, so when the coyote was gone, we walked back to the car. I have only had two close encounters with coyotes, besides ones i've seen while driving. I've found that coyotes are very skittish around humans (the only exceptions are if an individual is rabid, or is habituated to humans). Even if you were to stand on an active den, one of the parents will usually not attack, and instead attempt to lead you away from the den. 

My best guesses are that this one was hunting for meadow voles or cottontails. I have found lots of evidence of coyotes in the Raymond Reservation/Nobscot area. I will keep my eye out for their den this winter. 


Comments

Popular Posts