Insect & Spider Photography On Sigma 105mm EX DG

        Usually when I do wildlife photography, I focus on taking photos of larger animals, that are far away, like deer, foxes, owls, etc. Very recently though, I was able to get my hands on a macro lens. It was my dad's friends lens that he lent to me. The Sigma 105mm EX DG. This lens allows the photographer to focus on a subject that is only a few inches away from the lens, usually something really small, with tiny details. Here are all of my favorite photos so far, taken with the new lens...


               ...Common stretch spider waiting in it's web (black-eyed susans in background).
Taken at Silverwood Organic Farm. This spider is a long jawed orb weaver, and hunts by putting its legs together, making itself as thin as possible, making it blend in well with grasses, stems, and branches. 



                        ...A Thread-waisted wasp. This is a wasp that paralyzes caterpillars and lays its eggs inside them, and then becomes a pollinator as an adult. This one is perched on an asparagus plant, also at Silverwood Organic Farm.


               
             Daisy flower weevil on Queen Anne's lace. This species feeds on flowers, using its long, curved mouth, to pierce plants, and suck out the inside. Taken at Barber Reservation.

                   

                          ...Brilliant jumping spider showing off its fangs. This is a first find for me. The brilliant jumping spider is easily identifiable by its bright blue fangs, and orange markings on its abdomen. Taken at Barber Reservation.


                    ...Rhododendron leafhopper on lesser burdock plant, at Barber Reservation.



          ...A red milkweed beetle walking along a common milkweed leaf at Feeley Feild. I'm not sure if I prefer this photo, or the one of the stretch spider. This is definately in my top 2 ranking of my macro photos.


Comments

Popular Posts