Nobscot Deer Bed Confirmed (Trail Cam Results)

    About a week ago, I went to Nobscot Scout Reservation. wrote a post about an area that I suspected was a "Bedding Area" or "Deer Bed". That post is linked here: Possible Whitetail Deer Bed?

I'm no expert on deer behavior, but I've done a decent amount of research, and I was pretty sure I was right. My recent trail cam attempts at the pine grove, aqueduct, and sudbury river have basically been failures, as all they got pictures/videos of were squirrels, and snow chunks falling from trees, so I'd readied myself to see the same thing again. The images ended up exceeding my expectations, though, when I scrolled through over 200 images of Whitetail Deer (including bucks)

Below are what I think are the top five images (not in order), and top three videos:

                                                   PHOTOS:

This photo is of what is probably the dominant buck in it's area. I say this mainly because of his big
antlers. He is probably the one who stripped the bark off of all the nearby cedar trees. The reason why this photo is in color and the others are not is because I sometimes use a website called "hotpot.ia" to automatically add color to my photos, and while it does make the photos cooler, I doubt that it's completely accurate. I mean once it took a raccoon photo and decided the raccoon would be bright red-orange, so I decided to leave all the other photos as the 100% accurate black and white beauties that they were.

The big buck again. He looks into the camera. Animals do this alot on my cams, and i'm not sure if it's because of my scent, or the quiet shutter noise the camera makes when it takes a photo. Both are probably detectable by them because two things that raccoons, foxes, deer, and coyotes all have in common:
Good sight and good smell. luckily, he dosent run off as soon as the notices the camera, as some animals do.

This is a buck which has very small antlers, with only one spike for each antler. He is probably this way due to his younger age, because older bucks tend to grow larger antlers than younger ones during the mating season "the rut". This deer probably has his head bent down because he's smelling the mix of popping kernels and corn syrup that I put out to attract them. I decided to use corn based foods because I have seen deer alot in the past browsing in cornfields, and the internet confirms that deer love corn.
          
If you dont see the deer, its because it is sitting/laying down. (It is underneath the branches on the spruce tree on the left. This is one of the photos that really confirms that this is a deer bed. I literally got like 50+ photos of this deer just chilling under the tree, probably chewing it's cud. Cud is a paste that deer vomit up while resting, composed of regurgitated food from it's stomach. It continues to regurgitate and chew the cud until it is soft enough to digest. That and ear movement both explain why a deer lying down would trigger the cam.

...And another beautiful photo of the big buck.


                                                                               VIDEOS:
                                       Buck Up Close With The Camera

                                                                   Look At That Rack

                                                                    Two Deer at Once

The reason I am not giving any more specific description on the location of the deer beds, is because I got a couple of comments on Nextdoor.com which told me to not reveal the location of the fox den, and other important wildlife locations. I'm sorry to those people who want a more specific location, and to those who may think "Nobscot" is too specific. 

All jokes, aside though, I understand what they are saying. People can be stupid and I dont want to invite people to the fox den for example, who might harm or unnecessarily disturb the fox family. I am not as worried about the deer because they arent going to raise their fawns in this one specific designated location unlike the foxes, and hunting is not allowed at Nobscot Scout Reservation, but again, there are stupid people out there. If any of you are super curious and would like to look for the spot or other deer beds I found the location by following deer tracks in the snow until they all intersected in this one place:




I hope you enjoyed the photos and videos. Please comment if you have any ideas of animals/places to put my cameras or make future posts about.

Comments

  1. These are fantastic.Thank you so much for sharing your videos and photos.Please don't lose your interest in wildlife.It's so important to our environment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts